Monday, October 31, 2011

The Paris Pink Dress


Vogue 9668

Pattern Description:  Lined dress, below mid-knee variations or lower calf, has neckline variations, fitted, self-lined bodice, midriff, tapered or flared skirt & back zipper.
  
Pattern Sizing:  6-22.  I cut the size 6.

Fabric Used:  Maggy London Paris Pink basketweave textured cotton suiting, purchased from FabricMart for $1 a yard.  I lined it with Vera Wang silk check in pale pink.
 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes, considering all the changes I made.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I could tell just from looking at the pattern piece that there was no way that the tiny bust dart was going to accommodate my C-cup chest, but I was optimistic based on how well it fit other reviewers and made a muslin.  Needless to say, the bodice and midriff did not fit me at all.  Rather than mess with a full-bust adjustment, I just used the bodice from Simplicity 2337.  I rotated out the back bodice darts so that all back quadrants would be flush.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  I didn't refer to them, as I was mixing pieces from different patterns. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I love the skirt pattern; it's feminine and flowy without excess fullness.  I also like the unusual neckline which is very flattering, especially if you have bony clavicles.  The sleeves are well drafted and easy to sew in. 

Would you sew it again?  Yes, in a floral print.  Would you recommend it to others?  Yes, although it is recently out of print. 

Conclusion:  This is a great pattern with vintagey details that are not readily found in other patterns.

1 comment: