Friday, March 9, 2012

Sewing Class Review: Sew Retro Perfect Bombshell Dress


I didn't buy this class when it first came out, since the strapless style does not readily fit into my lifestyle and/or wardrobe.  But the completed projects posted on Craftsy all looked so good.  I made the mistake of watching the free previews and I was immediately hooked.  I had met Gretchen in person, and the video really captures her inspiring personality.  She is a great teacher, and that comes through in the lessons.

I love that the class walks you through the whole process of preparing the downloaded pattern (a first for me), to making and perfecting the muslin, to constructing the very fitted and structured strapless bodice (another first for me), with underling and lining, and finishing the skirt.  I had read in countless books and magazines about waist stays and boning, but seeing both demonstrated and explained together in this video was extremely helpful.  Just watching someone sew a garment from start to finish is kind of relaxing to me, and to learn something new along the way is like icing on the cake. 

The most enjoyable part for me was watching the bra cups take shape right as they are going through the sewing machine.  I couldn’t wait to try it out myself, and it was just as fun to do and see in real life.  

I tend to focus on details, and I appreciate that Gretchen's nails are neatly manicured.  I've seen other professional videos in which the close up sewing shots show raggedy cuticles and annoying hangnails, which tends to distract and detract from the information presented. 

The video quality is good and the information presented is hard to find elsewhere.  I paid $29.99 for the class, which I feel is a fair price for both the pattern and live detailed instructions.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I signed up for this class months ago, but didn't start it until now. I've been disappointed by the lack of dialogue on crafts and have never had even one of my posts or questions responded to. I'm making good progress on the dress though

    ReplyDelete