Friday, June 24, 2011

The Rival Cooks While I Sew

I usually like to cook, but with this current heat wave, the last thing I want to do is slave over a hot stove, and my husband will only eat so many salads.  Enter the Rival Crock Pot.  Thank goodness for slow cookers; I can throw in fresh ingredients and go sew while they cook.  My current favorite recipe is Chicken Tortilla Soup.
In a 4-quart cooker, combine the following ingredients:
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup celery, sliced
1 cup red pepper strips
1 cup yellow pepper strips
1 chicken breast, diced
3 cups chicken broth
14.5 ounce can stewed tomatoes
Garlic cloves (optional)
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3-1/2 hours. 
Serve in bowls with tortilla strips, avocado, jalapeno, and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment