Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Fringed Sheath

  Simplicity 2337 


Pattern Description:  Misses dress with front and sleeve variations.

Pattern Sizing:  4-20.  I cut size 4 and sewed 1/2" side seams.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Not really, as I made several changes.

Fabric Used:  FabricMart Boucle' suiting in a rainbow of colors with rayon lining in Ralph Lauren green.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  I didn't refer to them; it was just three pattern pieces.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I love the shoulder princess seams, which I can alter to fit my shoulder area.  This is the first and only dress pattern that I have found in years with princess seams from shoulder to hem. 
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  As afforded the opportunity by the pattern, I altered the shoulder area to accommodate a hollow chest.  

I did change the shoulder princess seams to curve into the side seam at the hips.  
I actually traced the seam line from another Project Runway pattern, Simplicity 2927.

I placed the side front pieces on the bias.  This both allows for a better fit and eliminates the need to match seams in that area.  

I changed the neckline to a V, shortened the length by a couple of inches, and added a lining and fringed hem, a la Dolce & Gabbana.  


Would you sew it again?  Definitely.  Would you recommend it to others?  Wholeheartedly.

Conclusion:  This is a superb pattern with great fitting and design opportunities.
 

6 comments:

  1. This looks brilliant, Diahn. Can I just ask, did you fringe the hemline yourself as part of each piece, or attach pre-cut fringing to the hem at the end of construction. Very classy and stylish dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I actually cut and sewed the pieces as normal and then unraveled the bottom edge instead of hemming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great on you- I am very impressed! I love the fringed hem and the bias cut side pieces. They make the dress very unique and special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a classy dress! And such a great idea to cut the side pieces on the bias. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say, yours looks better than the D&G! The construction is more interesting and really highlights the fabric

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Diahn, what a Beautiful dress and model too. Also what procedure did you use to narrow the chest area on your pattern? Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete