Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Cocktail Dress






Simplicity 2497


Pattern Description:  Misses' dress in three lengths with neckline variations designed by Cynthia Rowley.

Pattern Sizing:  4-20. I made size 4 and sewed ½” side seams.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  I think so.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Yes.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?   I like the unique ruffle collar. It’s a great design that conveys effortless elegance. The armhole is set further into the bodice than I’m used to, even with my narrow shoulders. The sleeves with little box pleats are really cute but they didn’t look right when attached to the dress. I ended up removing them and serging a rolled hem on the armscye.

Fabric Used:  Crinkle silk with a slight iridescent sheen.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  Having the benefit of other reviews, I raised the neckline by about an inch for modesty. I omitted the pockets to streamline the construction and I opted for a center back zip instead of the prescribed side zipper, for symmetry.

As usual, instead of gathers, I made small even pleats at the waist, which are much more flattering.




Would you sew it again?  Not likely; I really don’t need more than one of these.  

Would you recommend it to others?  Yes, it’s a 2011 Best pattern for good reason!

Conclusion:  This pattern is simple yet elegant. It’s a quick sew since there are no darts or princess seams to obsess about, just a bunch of gathers.

2 comments:

  1. You look wonderful in your dress. Such a pretty color and flattering style. And replacing the waist gathers with pleats for a neater look is very clever.

    ReplyDelete